Suunto MC-2 USGS Compass
While GPS technology is a great advancement in navigation, nothing beats a reliable compass and the rugged Suunto MC-2 Compasses are trusted the world over.
These sighting compasses offer a high-grade steel needle with a jewel bearing, adjustable declination correction and built-in clinometer. The clear baseplate with anti-slip feet makes it easy to use on a map and the detachable lanyard with wrist lock makes hand-holding and sighting a breeze.
Each compass baseplate is compatible with the USGS UTM and features an inch scale, 1:24,000 mile scale, 1:24,000 UTM and 1:50,000 UTM scales. For more on how to use these scales, check out our Complete Guide to Land Navigation eBook.
Other MC-2 features include a sighting hole, large mirror and notch for taking accurate bearings, as well as luminescent markings for working in low light.
We offer two models of the MC-2 compass, one designed for use in the Northern Hemisphere and one for worldwide Global use. The globally balanced version is designed to compensate for the magnetic pull towards the earth in both northern and southern hemispheres by using a specifically balanced needle. An added feature of the global needle is a quicker dampening time over a standard needle.
- Included Declination Adjustment Key, Lanyard w/ Snap-Lock and Quick Release
- Jewel Bearing
- USGS 1:24,000 UTM and 1:25,000 UTM Scales
- Large Mirror and Additional Sighting Hole
- Clear Baseplate w/ Magnifying Lens
- Anti-Slip Rubber Baseplate Pads
- Luminous Two-Color Bezel Ring and Guidance Points
- Easy Detachment Lanyard for Working w/ Maps
- Operating temperature: -22° F to +140° F
- Weight: 2.61 oz
- Measures: 2.56” x 3.98” x .71”
- Made in Finland